This last summer 2016, the Beta Alpha Psi UWB Chapter kicked off its third annual mentorship program. This program is a great way for students to gain insight into a public or private accounting profession as well as further their general skill set with a seasoned professional. Many of the Beta Alpha Psi mentorship program alumni were able to earn a staff position at a firm through the insight gained or through a connection created. The mentorship kickoff dinner is usually scheduled in July.
The term of the mentorship program takes place over the course of the summer to the end of fall quarter. Each student will receive an in-depth outline of the program to use as a guide on how to make the best of their time spent with their matched mentor. The process of matching students and mentors is up to the discretion of the current Mentorship Coordinator.
The program requires:
- Completion of application process,
- Establish a connection with the accounting professional paired as well as the professional’s firm website,
- Attendance of the kickoff dinner in July,
- Students are responsible for making the most out of their experience. It is encouraged to meet at least 4-5 meetings during the course of the program, but it is not uncommon for a mentee to continue to keep in touch with their mentors even after the mentorship program has been completed. Long term connections are encouraged,
- Completion of the program evaluation survey in December.